The last couple of months I fell a bit behind with my bee blocks.
I hate being late for things!
So the last couple of days I have embraced my
live in babysitter (ah hem) I mean husband being home and got busy sewing. Boy it was good to be back in front my sewing machine – it wasn’t until I sat in comfy sewing chair again that I realised just how much I’d missed it all. A few productive hours spent sewing (in my pyjamas) later and said bee blocks are up to date.
Not only did I get my overdue May blocks done, but also both sets of June blocks & I even got fabric pulled for one of my July blocks.
Emma asked for traditional pieced blocks in blue for a sampler quilt she is making. After much deliberation I finally settled on a blue version of my rainbow wheel block…
Oh boy did these blocks test me at first! Mona requested free pieced word blocks in colourful fabrics on grey. One word was to be our name & the other a word of our choice. Here is my first attempt at my name…
Oh boy was this baby BBIIIIGGG (like the size of 2 x 12.5 blocks) and it was also boooring! I did not like it’s hugeness & it’s squareness. So I decided to chop it to bits (no unpicking shananigans in this house!) and wonk it up a little. After 2 more attempts this was what I settled on:
Still definitely more practise at free piecing required! (Not to mention I am seriously questioning my fabric choices together – I initially chose them because they each have meaning). But I think I like it better than when it was big and square, so hopefully Mona likes it too.
2nd time around was a LOT easier. I think I’d got the hang of the sizes a little better. I was originally going to make the word “unity” but (dare I say it) after the first attempt I really couldn’t be bothered with that many letters. Try as I did I could not think of any good 3 letter words to make, so I compromised with 4 & made this:
I like this a lot better! Hopefully Mona loves the word play too…
Sabah requested stars in red & white. So this was my version…
I really like this block! It was loosely based on a block out of the quiltmakers 100 blocks 2 edition, but I changed it up a bit in the 4 corners to this. Although it did occur to me afterwards that maybe Sabah was wanting red stars on white. hmmm… I hope it suits her!
Rachel asked for cross blocks in very pale lemon & aqua. I have to say that my stash is a bit limited in pale colours but I finally dug out some suitable fabrics.
And one of my July ladies is moving this month so she posted her instructions early. I’ve already pulled my fabrics so I’m feeling well and truly caught up since we’re still in June….